RO2 RS1 server has frequent lag spikes

Informationen zu den Spielen Red Orchestra / Rising Storm und Rising Storm Vietnam, sowie unseren damit verbundenen Servern
---
All about the games Red Orchestra / Rising Storm and Rising Storm Vietnam, as well our related game servers
IceMobster
Private
Private
Favorite Server: RS1 / RO2
Estonia

07 Oct 2019, 15:14

Every 10 minutes or so, the ping for all users jumps to 980 (probably even higher since 980 is the max the game can show you). Currently, =]RC[= RS1 is the most active RS1 server there is an has the perfect amount of bots meaning players join more often. The only problem is the constant lag spikes which last for a few seconds, ruin the gameplay and make players leave.

Is it possible to fix that?

[RC]Hunter
Site Admin
Sergeant
Sergeant
Favorite Server: All of them
Germany

Networker

Contributor

Membership

Loading…

08 Oct 2019, 11:43

Thanks for your report.
I looked into the setup and did some tweaks.

Let us know if it may improve the situation.

=]RC[= Hunter
skill is not an unlock ... see ya on the battlefields

Image * Image * Image * Image
IceMobster
Private
Private
Estonia

12 Oct 2019, 19:52

[RC]Hunter wrote:
08 Oct 2019, 11:43
Thanks for your report.
I looked into the setup and did some tweaks.

Let us know if it may improve the situation.
The situation remains the same. Got some other ideas for a fix? I got session banned 3 times so far due to "speedhacking". The game thinks I am speedhacking since I move and the ping is 999 :biggrin:

IceMobster
Private
Private
Estonia

12 Oct 2019, 20:50

Interestingly, there is another RS1 server from bfewav.com and both yours and theirs server "overloads" to 999 ping at the same time. I haven't ever seen this happen on some Battle of Stalingrad server. Very weird!

IceMobster
Private
Private
Estonia

13 Oct 2019, 10:34

Sorry for spam, but unfortunately I can not edit my post(s).

This is the proof: https://i.imgur.com/dGRzWHX.png

[RC]Hunter
Site Admin
Sergeant
Sergeant
Germany

Networker

Contributor

Membership

Loading…

14 Oct 2019, 14:14

Yes, it actually seems to confirm what I was thinking about it all the time.
The issue is related to Tripwire´s backend (where the server reports stats and other datas to) and is not nessecarily related to the server instance itself or it might be an issue with the aging punkbuster support.

As well there is no real repeatable behavior to see which would allow to identify when exactly it will happen.
I do personally suspect a coding issue within RS1, which starts this behavior if the Tripwire backend becomes unavailable or very slow in responding. Instead to continue the local process (the server players are playing on) independently, it "hangs in" trying to communicate towards the master server(s) or it might be related to the punkbuster engine not being able to speak with its master servers ...

But I am not in the possition to confirm the above, since we have no insights here from tripwire itself. The laggy feeling is known for many RS1 clients as well and were related to operating system issues. In example if you set your rogame.exe to the task priority "BelowNormal" it will run much smoother and stable than if you leave it on "Normal" ... ;) ... so there are a lot of discussion about it since many years and there has never any reply to it from the developers as far as I am aware of and since its an older game, there will most likely never be a fix to it.

I did one more tweak just now, perhaps it will change the picture. If not the next would be to disable the punkbuster engine, most RO2 servers today run without, so perhaps a reason why they are no affected like this. But before disabling PB I would like to check the current settings and see if it fixes anything.

Let us know if you find time again to check it out.

=]RC[= Hunter

IceMobster
Private
Private
Estonia

22 Oct 2019, 19:22

[RC]Hunter wrote:
It seems the problem has been fixed. I've played for a few hours and no 999 ping happened at all.

The only thing I've seen people do not like is the deathcam ("killed from location").

The showing of nicknames at all times (even at greater lengths) greatly reduces friendly fire, but takes from realism, so I'm unsure which of the two one should favour.

IceMobster
Private
Private
Estonia

27 Oct 2019, 16:40

[RC]Hunter wrote:
One thing that really needs just adjusting is the time it takes for the game to start at the beginning of a new map. Currently, when someone joins it starts within 10 seconds. That needs to be increased to 50-60 seconds so all the players can enter, choose roles, prepare and spawn appropriately.

This way, if someone has SSD and joins the game, the game starts and fills with bots and as it fills the bots die resulting in an empty frontline except for those with SSD.

Another thing that needs adjusting is the reinforcements. They need to be cut by 40-50% since neither attacking nor defending team ever runs out of reinforcements. That's not normal.

[RC]Hunter
Site Admin
Sergeant
Sergeant
Germany

Networker

Contributor

Membership

Loading…

28 Oct 2019, 20:59

Hi,

Thanks for taking your time posting the issues.

In fact I did a check on the servers config file and found some issue with it. I just re-created it from scratch, perhaps it got corrupted during a previous crash or server shutdown and therefore the instance was using default values only.

We usually used these server settings:

delay at beginning of a new map = 30 seconds, within this time the majority of connected players needs to be ready (not all)
round start delay (warm up) = 20 seconds

This usually gives you 50 seconds to be ready for the fight in case you play on a slower PC which requires more time to load.

team mate nick names are visible at 10m distance only

Those values have be reset now and are in effect. Sorry about the confusion here, but since the server was less frequented the past year, nobody really reported any issues as it seems.

The "killed from location" and killcam in general has been turned off. Now since the server is mainly populated by human players, it makes absolutely sense.

=]RC[= Hunter

IceMobster
Private
Private
Estonia

30 Oct 2019, 13:44

[RC]Hunter wrote:
28 Oct 2019, 20:59
Yeah, it seems every sale a swarm of new players arrive which is absolutely great since the server, and RS1 in general, more or less died. Now, I've seen multiple veterans and old players come back, specially during the weekend/evenings EU time.

As for the reinforcements I mentioned earlier, I do not suggest reducing them since they are fine once the server is full (32vs32).

I must thank you for such a rapid reaction. Most admins/owners wouldn't care at all / that much. Cheers.