Map Modification - Game Warden CO-OP

questions, comments, problems ? general topics about the original Battlefield Vietnam game and our Co-Op and Conquest STRATEGO servers, English/German speaking board *** old game - no more servers - good memories - board locked ***
[RC]Hunter
Site Admin
Sergeant
Sergeant
Favorite Server: All of them
Germany

Networker

Contributor

Membership

Loading…

08 May 2008, 19:36

These are the changes I came up with so far, means it is done. Before I am bringing this map alive on the coop server, I would like to share the changes with you and receive your feedback on it if possible. I know it´s hard to judge the changes as long you did not play the map, but perhaps you have some input already before, so I would be able to change desired settings if needed.

With the changes I am aiming to increase player fun and strategy play on this map, always considering more human players are on. Nothing can be more boring for chopper pilots than to see the only Mi8 or Huey leaving the base without him as a pilot or copilot. So why not have more ... if main bases are attacked, I found them to weak in order to defend themselves properly. So lets add some defense power as well for the infantry. And if you modify one side, the opposing force requires new components as well. So this can be an endless debate all the time, but review first what I did and then lets speak.

NVA Base Changes

- to turn the base flag into neutral requires 2 minutes by a single player power
- from neutral to owned by the enemy, additional 2 minutes by a single player power

This makes a total of 4 minutes to turn the flag, almost impossible being on a lonely mission without support and this is the idea behind. Forget about main base last rules, alone the spawning of bots will make it difficult to just fly over and take the flag and therefore ruin the game at an early stage.

- Mi8 Cargo moved from his pad a bit backwards, not on a pad anymore, means no repair place
- the Mi8 Cargo pad is now owned by a second Mi8 Assault, more firepower for the NVA !

- a second BTR60 spawns in the backyard of the NVA base, good for defense of the main and moving out to new flags

- computer players no longer fly the Mi8 Assaults of the pads from the mainbase, only by accident so to speak :lol:

This leaves the Mi8´s to human players. Can become boring if you have no pilot in your team or you play solo against NVA bots only. That´s why I added the 3rd Cargo Chopper available for bots to take it. And as you know, they like to fly the Mi8 Cargo´s to target flags.

- NVA bots now know how to use the boats from their main base in order to move out. However it´s a very low priority for them. If you really want them to sail with their little "assault ships" you may take them with a follow me command down to the boats. They will then become interested to hop on board.

US Base Changes:

- to turn the base flag into neutral requires 2 minutes by a single player power
- from neutral to owned by the enemy, additional 2 minutes by a single player power

This makes a total of 4 minutes to turn the flag, almost impossible being on a lonely mission without support and this is the idea behind. Forget about main base last rules, alone the spawning of bots will make it difficult to just fly over and take the flag and therefore ruin the game at an early stage.

- the UH1 Transport pad is now owned by a second UH1 Assault, more firepower for the US !
- the UH1 Transport will be present closer to the base flag on the right side of it, no pad means no repair possibility, but of course he could use the pads from the Assault places

- two more Quad50's stationary guns, distributed on the base area with a decent distance in between each other, should the US come into the danger to be under heavy air attack and defending choppers are far away, you can join your forces on several quads together, which makes the life for an attacking Mi8 really diffcult

- one more Jeep (MUTT style) around the center area of the base

- computer players no longer fly the UH1 Assaults off the pads from the mainbase, only if you invite them to join as a copilot, the aim here as well ... leave the good choppers to human players please ! :wink:

- however, computer players know how to use the UH1 Transport to fly out and to drive all three jeeps towards the destination, in addition bots also use the newly added Quad defense posts in case you believe it will be an easy going as a NVA chopper pilot to a lonely US base.

Let me know what you think about these changes. Keep in mind, modifying maps with AI (computer players) on board is more difficult than "just" creating / modifying new conquest play mode maps. So whenever we decide to bring this map online and you will find problems with it, please post them here and I will try to address them asap.

Ddraig
Private
Private

09 May 2008, 00:17

Changes sound good, can I suggest maybe a few ZSU's scattered around the map, could make it very interesting, what do you think???

[RC]Hunter
Site Admin
Sergeant
Sergeant
Germany

Networker

Contributor

Membership

Loading…

09 May 2008, 13:16

Hmmm ... I am afraid it will increase the anti air strength to much ...

With all the changes and ideas in my head I still want to remain as close as possible to the original game creator idea of Game Warden. And it was made without ZSU´s at the end when 1.21 was released. If we add ZSU´s now all over the place, it somehow reminds me on Flaming Dart or Irving. ;)

Even though, ZSU units are hard to move in the jungle ... in reality ... oha ... :roll:

Anonymous

16 May 2008, 11:36

Played some rounds on the new modified version of Game Warden... seems good to me... if you manage to fix the main flag... ;)

[RC]Hunter
Site Admin
Sergeant
Sergeant
Germany

Networker

Contributor

Membership

Loading…

16 May 2008, 12:16

You mean the graphical display of the circles, for the time needed in order to convert the flag ?

Well this is impossible, since the BFV client does not support it. Unless I would (if finalized) offer the map for download, using a different name and including all the changes. Then your local client would show you a propper bar counting down the 2 minutes for neutralization and the additional 2 minutes for capturing the flag.

I even got the opinion in the meantime to remove the flag capture time changes, in order to avoid players getting confused perhaps. As we know, almost 90% of the daily players do not even check this website ... so how should they know what it is all about. But just the past 2 days playing a few rounds on different maps did show me again how easily a main base can be taken with just two men power getting into the flag area ... well just thinking loud here ...

iD
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

18 May 2008, 16:04

agreed, most ppl dont check the website and maybe wonder whats goin on with these flags. on the other hand most will think that they're uncappable, which is not bad at all.

not sure bout that, but maybe there's a certain time limit lower than the current one (but still higher than standard), which enables the flag bar to work as it should.

think we should c whether there is such a time limit and if we could live with that amount of time, too.

just a thought tho ;)

Anonymous

19 May 2008, 09:56

We'll see... as for the moment I can live with the current cap-time and broken graphics...

[RC]Hunter
Site Admin
Sergeant
Sergeant
Germany

Networker

Contributor

Membership

Loading…

20 May 2008, 10:55

Just updating, for the time being I am not going to alter the flag capture times in Game Warden, means I will leave the main bases as high as they are currently (4 mins total conversion time).

Before I start with other maps and find my complete expression there, I am still working on the AI of the current Game Warden setup. I made some modifications recently which makes the bots moving better. However the major impact on the overall story about getting them much weaker than before is the situation that I deny the chopper access to bots (hard to do already eh). The default hardcoded programming in BFV forces chopper usage for bots, if choppers are present on the map. I learned that just recently... :evil: ... so in other words, lots of current bot soldiers spawn as pilots and do look for the choppers to fly with.

Just last night I got an another idea, basically I was looking forward to still have the bots holding flying capabilities. Means just as a scenario, they should still use the Transport Mi8 as NVA bots and parachute to flag positions. Or in case they will find a "lost" chopper at one of the control points they should jump in and fly ... however I will now try to make them loose their memories about the flying in total and to spawn them primarely as infantry or CAR/BTR/BOAT users. I hope what I have in mind will work out, but for me the main question will be how do I assure the conquest of neutral flags in the early stage of a map in a decent speed. Later on in mid game, bots will be nasty enough as infantry and BTR drivers... I see no problems there. So saying all this I do currently think about to spawn a 3rd BTR at the current Mi8Cargo instead. Human players will anyhow mainly use the Mi8Assaults to battle or fly their buddies out. On the US side I am still debating, saw to many players enjoying the UH1 Transport "patrol flight" to either conquer flags or get into the enemy main stealing units. So I will leave them in for now.

In addition I will teach the bots to NOT attacking main bases at their own intentions. They may join you in your chopper in order to conquer a flag much faster, but they will never go there on their own. To often we saw the BTRs or Cars loaded with bots driving into main bases capturing the flags. So if that works out too, we then know in the future if a flag was captured to neutral, that definatly a human must be out there.
:)

[RC]Hunter
Site Admin
Sergeant
Sergeant
Germany

Networker

Contributor

Membership

Loading…

21 May 2008, 15:28

Alright, I finished this mod so far.

I refused to let the bots forget how to fly at the end. It still allows to load them on board or "give" them a chopper into their hands if the situation requires ... for example if you experience the typical lame "I play only US" type of game play. (sorry could not resist)

However, I still changed the NVA setup and removed the Mi8Cargo. Around the similar coordinates a 3rd BTR spawns. Allows the bots to defend the base much better (or human non pilots) as well it does allow / compromise for moving out with an Amphibian vehicle as an advantage compared to the US bots running their boat (just one of the two PBRs btw.) and their three jeeps in a reasonable speed.

I tweaked the bots behaviour as well, so they are more active now and can become nasty if you infantry around a flag. ;)

iD
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

21 May 2008, 19:29

hehe, cool, gj ;)

which map comes next? lol :D